On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 14:10:26 -0500 Jeff Hoogland <jeffhoogl...@gmail.com> said:

> I am working on a library that can read / write to EET files from Python.
> Essentially I decompile the file using the eet command, read the text
> structure in as a python data type, then after making changes to the python
> data type I export it back to a text file, and recompile that text using
> eet again.
>
> The issue I am running into is when editing files that are in use - such as
> E profile data - When I edit profile data and then restart E, sometimes the
> changes take effect, but other times E overwrites the data back to what the
> configuration file was.

yup. that's how it works. if you are going behind e's back expect to fight. e
holds master config in memory at all times. if it  is modified (and it can be
modified by many runtime things like remembering current state of something) e
will write it all back out. you are going behind e's back and expecting it to
work. it won't. not reliably. if you want to modify config you go THROUGH e.

if you want to make external tools, then write C modules that extend e's ipc
(eg dbus - sample module already there extending it), and then expose dbus
methods to mess with config and then use these from your python app.

basically... you're doing it wrong :)