On Mon, 18 Apr 2016 14:18:06 +0100 Tom Hacohen <t...@osg.samsung.com> said:

> On 12/04/16 12:36, Carsten Haitzler wrote:

> >> Let me start by saying that the magic of the Eo_Event structure is that
> >> we can add to it when we need to. Like now. :)
> >
> > yeah - i know. but let's add to it now... :)
> >
> >> At the moment we just overwrite obj (as you may know) and send a
> >> "native" event. The problem I have with src is that I feel like it's
> >> exposing internals of widgets for no apparent benefit. Having src feels
> >> useful to me as well, but I don't have a usecase in mind.
> >
> > you can't otherwise know where the event really originated. you only know
> > you got it. if it propagated... there would be cases you want to know - if
> > you are the original src of the event or just got a propagation - otherwise
> > it could be handled multiple times like
> >
> > if (event->src != event->obj) // propagated event
>
> I understand how it can be used, what I don't know is the purpose. A
> purpose like: "you can check if it's a propagated event" is not a real
> purpose, it's a method. Why would you want to know if it's a propagated
> event? What's the real use case where knowing that is useful?
>

> >> In cases where it's really needed, src could be added to the event info.
> >
> > i think that's really too special/manual. i think it likely should be a core
> > feature. right now we have event forwarders ... and here src would need to
> > change. currently that's gore. i think we should also add propagation to
> > parent too like evas already does. that would necessitate this feature in
> > core. we currently dont have a propagate flag. in fact you likely want to
> > propagate some events and not others.
> >
> > anyway - i remember int he past doing code and going "shit. i dont know
> > where the event came from. i can't fix this simply. i have to do some weird
> > stuff instead". i remember making a mental note to fix this in future. :)
> > i'm now voicing that note. :)
>
> I'm not strictly against, just lacking an example... Got one you can
> describe?

i have an example. del events. let's say a del event propagated. the obj now is
not the object deleted but the object the cb was called on. you REALLY want to
know the src (the deleted object) so you can do things like remove the daat you
had attached or references to it etc. etc.

that brings me to propagation. we currently have event forwarders. these don't
handle "forward to parent regardless what parent is". so either we need
propagation methods like the forwarder add/del OR use target obj == NULL to
mean parent. (or something similar - have a magic special object created as a
global to be parent and use that obj as a special marker).