On Wed, 8 Jun 2016 11:04:19 +0900 Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman)
<ras...@rasterman.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Jun 2016 20:28:59 +0200 Davide Andreoli
> <d...@gurumeditation.it> said:

> > > The generic loaders merge adds a lot of new dependencies for efl
> > > (spectre, librsvg, cairo, openmp, libraw, ...).
> > > It seems they shouldn't be built by default?
> > >

> > I really think that svg (librsvg->cairo) and pdf (poppler) must be
> > on by default,
> > without them your efl apps cannot render pdf and svg, and I
> > consider those file types important for a decent desktop experience.
> >
> > Maybe we can make raw (libraw->openmp) and ps (libspectre) off by
> > default, but also in this case I think they should be enabled, to
> > encourage their usage
> > and testing.
> > Otherwise we will get users to report bugs like: ephoto cannot show
> > the raw images from my camera... etc.
>
> forget openmp. that seems to be a distro specific issue with build
> options. arch certainly needs no openmp for libraw. i think libraw
> being on by default is worth it for sure because fo the exact reason
> you give above. --disable it i you dont want it.
>
> libspectre is a little more of an edge case. pdf has pretty much
> supplanted ps by now so i would say it's not that common... and i am
> sure someone will go "but but i have ps files". there is always
> someone. :) the question is - what is the right balance of making it
> a "required by default but able to be disabled" option vs "requiring
> enablement".

No PostScript here, and I pretty much only use PDFs when others
insist.  Though mostly they insist on MS Word docs, but never specify
which of the several slightly incompatible versions of this alledged
standard they actually mean.  I used to just send them RTFs, coz Word
reads that fine, but I switched to PDFs when tables didn't always work
so good in RTF.  No one has complained about the PDFs.

Raw I use in my big virtual world project coz Second Life uses raw
images for terrain heightmaps, and I'm trying to be backwards
compatible with their legacy data formats.

So my vote - Raw fer sure, PDF only coz I have to, but not PostScript.

Oh, and SVG is good to.  Oddly enough, I plan to soon convert a Cairo
proggy to an EFL proggy, but Cairo itself wont be needed by me in EFL.