On Mon, 1 Aug 2016 09:01:13 -0300 Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
<barbi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 1, 2016 at 1:26 AM, David Seikel <onef...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Mon, 1 Aug 2016 00:50:31 -0300 Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
> > <barbi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I'm entitled to review the new Eo API for Ecore_Con.h. Find below
> >> my first draft proposal and after the "code" you can see my
> >> detailed review of current code and competitors.
> >>
> >> Please reply in line with your points. As the email is super-long,
> >> PLEASE cut non-relevant points and text so we can easily see what
> >> you want to mean.
> >
> > <big snip per request>
> >
> > Two things.
> >
> > Some of those other APIs include a "family", IPv4 or IPv6.  We could
> > probably figure that out based on the structure of the IP address
> > passed in, so no need to actually pass the family to API.  Do we
> > already do that?  (I have public IPv6 addresses at home.)
> >
> > I want to experiment with other protocols, mostly SCTP, which is
> > basically a cross between TCP and UDP.  I wonder if we can support
> > that?
>
> the current API takes a string, thus will either resolve/parse the
> address to IPv4 or IPv6 then use that.
>
> in my proposal I'm using a resolved address. We'd need to introduce a
> resolver (also async) and with that you chain. Ideally this will force
> people to cache the name resolution since they must use that anyway.
>
> Other folks such as Qt offer a "hostFound" to notify name resolution,
> but then you're not able to easily cache. AFAIR you can keep the
> address and on a second call use that address to connect (different
> method).
>
> As for SCTP, likely we can support, but I never did anything with it.

Neither have I, but a friend thinks it might be useful for virtual
world work, and he could be correct.  Hence my desire to experiment with
it.  Currently Second Life and OpenSim use a combination of TCP and
UDP, so a protocol that's basically a cross between them might work
wonders.