Hi.

 On Mon, 1 Aug 2016 22:10:44 +1000 David Seikel <onef...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Aug 2016 09:01:13 -0300 Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
> <barbi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Aug 1, 2016 at 1:26 AM, David Seikel <onef...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> > > <big snip per request>
> > >
> > > Two things.
> > >
> > > Some of those other APIs include a "family", IPv4 or IPv6.  We
> > > could probably figure that out based on the structure of the IP
> > > address passed in, so no need to actually pass the family to
> > > API.  Do we already do that?  (I have public IPv6 addresses at
> > > home.)
> > >
> > > I want to experiment with other protocols, mostly SCTP, which is
> > > basically a cross between TCP and UDP.  I wonder if we can support
> > > that?
> >
> > the current API takes a string, thus will either resolve/parse the
> > address to IPv4 or IPv6 then use that.
> >
> > in my proposal I'm using a resolved address. We'd need to introduce
> > a resolver (also async) and with that you chain. Ideally this will
> > force people to cache the name resolution since they must use that
> > anyway.
> >
> > Other folks such as Qt offer a "hostFound" to notify name
> > resolution, but then you're not able to easily cache. AFAIR you can
> > keep the address and on a second call use that address to connect
> > (different method).
> >
> > As for SCTP, likely we can support, but I never did anything with
> > it.
>
> Neither have I, but a friend thinks it might be useful for virtual
> world work, and he could be correct.  Hence my desire to experiment
> with it.  Currently Second Life and OpenSim use a combination of TCP
> and UDP, so a protocol that's basically a cross between them might
> work wonders.

 I did play (and did some interesting stuff) with SCTP while I was at
Motorola Research Lab: I worked on multihoming, multipath and stuff for
seamless roaming.

 Having basic SCTP support is *really* simple to implement for the
end-application (basically change the protocol on socket creation, and
you’re good to go), however, we may want to have ways to get several
addresses (on both local and distant sides) for multihoming/multipath.
This would also be useful for multipath TCP.

 The biggest problem would be NAT traversal as it is still not
standardized: see latest draft
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tsvwg-natsupp-09

 Cheers.

 Chidambar