On 09/08/16 20:37, Davide Andreoli wrote:
> Starting from this commit:
> https://git.enlightenment.org/core/elementary.git/commit/?id=015db15c626b9b06116fcc8f7ec61bbae3c6cc30
>
> combobox now inherit from Genlist and Multibuttonentry, this is causing
> some name clashes, in particular
> I found the item_append() function to be present (and needed) in both
> parent class.
>
> This is an issue in bindings, where you use it like:
> cbox.item_append(...)
> what function do I need to call in this case? the one from genlist or the
> one from multibuttonentry?
> do you want to add the item in the genlist or in the mbe?
>
> TBH I also found the new combobox multi selection functionality quite
> broken atm, for example it's
> quite impossible to make the widget the right size, it always appear super
> small, unless you perform
> hacks like the table+rect one, or use and edje layout (like is done the
> elementary_test)
>
> If we don't a have a solution/explanation for the name clash I suggest to
> revert this commit for the
> 1.18 release and fix/discuss better in the next cycle
>
> Thanks
> davemds

Hey,

My reply will be based on my basic checks and a few assumptions, if you
think any of the assumptions are wrong, please correct me. But given the
quick glance I took of the code, and our chat on IRC, I think I'm on top
of it.

The Eo API is not stable. This obviously includes eo functions like
eo_add, but also eo properties, like multiple inheritance. Combobox
inherits from box, and is extended (composite if I had to assume) by
genlist. This means that any genlist calls on combobox objects are
actually BETA are not "released". This means one of two things: if you
can use combobox without these calls, all is well. If you rely on using
these calls, then combobox should be marked as beta too as it's not
useful without the Eo api. That is it.

There is an issue and a clash, you are correct. This issue will be
fixed, but not for this release, and it's not the end of the world
because as I said, you either don't need to reply on it, or the widget
is beta. Either way, no biggie.

--
Tom.