I don't understand why we want to expose the choice of efl widget set icons
in E - users can override a default using elm_config if they want to but
promoting this choice in E seems strange - basically a "do you want your
other apps to look different to E ones?"

I like the description of elm icons as an optimisation because fdo is
really slow. With this in mind we could implement it purely as an
optimisation so when the fdo choice can be mapped to edj then we do so
automatically.
You would still need to fall back to hicolor but it's less likely to happen
if I understand correctly?

For me I think we should be fdo compliant and make it transparent for
users. Otherwise we should probably just ignore the standards and hope folk
make icon sets specifically for us...

Andrew