On 22/06/17 00:13, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
> What should users do? That is the question. What is the standard way
> that users should start E? Most will rely on a display/login manager
> for such functionality.

I think the problem here is you are asking the wrong question / taking
the wrong idea. I don't think there should be a standard way for users
to start E, users shouldn't need to care about how they start E. Most
distro's (Gentoo and arch probably being the main exceptions) have a
"standard way of launching a desktop" which is based off a FDO standard,
ie providing a desktop file in either '/usr/share/xsessions/' or
'/usr/share/wayland-sessions'. Enlightenment currently ships one in
'/usr/share/xsessions' so it already has the ability to be launched in
the "standard way of launching a desktop" as far as the rest of the
Linux world is concerned this is the standard way to launch any desktop
which includes E. I have also messed around locally with creating a
enlightenment-wayland.desktop file in '/usr/share/wayland-sessions'
which when using gdm will correctly launch enlightenment under wayland
and when I feel that is ready for end users i'll ship it in openSUSE. In
the end it will be for distro packagers to decide when they swap from
using E under X11 to E under Wayland by default and they will do so by
swapping the desktop file from /usr/share/xsessions to
/usr/share/wayland-sessions.

I am pretty sure that when running the openSUSE installer there is a
"Auto Login" option and if you install enlightenment and select the
"Auto Login" option your machine will boot straight to enlightenment via
a display manager. Although we are different to most distro's and only
have 1 "display-manager" service that based off a config file and the
DM's you have installed will work out which DM should be used to do that.

A systemctl service to launch E directly as most dev's do should be
really simple and be the same for everyone (maybe except different
install prefixes), someone should probably upload theres to the wiki on
e.org as part of our documentation then any users who also want to use
this method can copy/paste the file to the right location.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek)                            http://simotek.net

Emergency Update Team                           keybase.io/simotek
SUSE Linux                           Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30