On Sun, 3 Sep 2017 16:16:39 +0930 Simon Lees <sfl...@suse.de> said:

> On 02/09/17 23:55, Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:

> >> Speaking with a distro maintainers hat on, for this to be usable there
> >> needs to be considerably more documentation, neither meson --help,
> >> README or README.wayland tell me how to enable or disable building with
> >> git. All that stuff simply should be there before you get distro's to
> >> try it (or intend to remove autotools) otherwise your just wasting our
> >> time. Equally the html documentation is not built automatically and
> >> there is no indication of how one might build it.
> >
> > copying the above docs over and autogen.sh over would solve that. i can do
> > it now if you want... but it's mean autogen is now meson not autofoo so
> > autofoo build will effectively be disabled for most people.
> >

> If meson --help listed the supported set of build flags that would be a
> good starting point and likely good enough for me atleast but as of when
> I wrote the email there was nothing which is annoying.

meson just can't do that. not until you set up a build. then it will list
options. see the INSTALL file in rage. you will just have to cat
meson_options.txt to get project specific options (beyond the std meson ones).
this is how meson works. there is nothing we can do about it. --help doesnt
work like autotools.

> >> As a side note, git is also required for building (which wasn't the case
> >> before).
> >
> > that is actually incorrect. git is required to create the dist tarball only.
> >

> Git is required because if you try and do a build on a VM or chroot
> without git installed meson will complain that git is not installed,
> whether its used or not is another question but currently the e build
> requires it. I'm not saying that its bad to need it its just another
> change distro packagers should be aware of.

well then its a build requires, but it's not USED. it doesnt need a git clone
to do it. consider it then a build requirement OF meson. in fact it SHOULD be a
depends of the meson package then and have nothing to do with us. :)