Re: Check the ~/.xinitrc (or ~/.xsession or ~/.Xclients) for the user in
Re: question. Make sure they don't start any other wms (stand alone or as
Re: part of GNOME/KDE). If they do, comment out that line and put E in
Re: instead. If E is working for root, look at root's .xinitrc and see if
Re: you can use it as an example.

That's where I've been looking and after editing it I still have the same troubles.
I'll have
another look at it and see if it's something silly.  The problem may be that there are
other wm
listed already in ~/.xsession but I presumed that since E is the default wm for root
and 'startx'
launches it just fine that I could just follow the same procedure for user.  Also I
recall reading
that if E were listed at the end of ~/.xsession it would be default.  I'll go edit
~/.xsession and
comment out the other wm entries as soon as I finish recompiling .gcc (a few hours
:P).

Re: KDE and GNOME start their own window managers. If you want to use them,
Re: it's best to start E first and then start your panels and file manager.

I've installed SourceMage Linux- a source distro and I've been using TWM which is
installed by
default.  I do have other wm's installed but I just wasn't happy with them.  It was
while running
TWM that I first installed and tried E. which is also when E "configured my files".
It would be
nice if it told you which files it was editing specifically.  That window that popped
up was a
littel too windows like. :)  I think you have put me back on the right track though.

Re: You can try changing the wm they load, but this can cause race
Re: conditions and other problems.

I think I was oblivious to the fact that a window manager and a desktop environment
were not one and
the same thing. :)

Thanks Lazlo