On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 00:03:37 +0100 Hallvar Helleseth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
babbled:

> Hi!
>
> In my attempts to make edje work on DirectFB I did what Ive been
> waiting a long time for: use Edje to get some sweeet looking bootup
> graphics 2 seconds after linux boots up (yes, that's actually 2 seconds!).
>
> I'm hoping this will spark some interest in getting involved with
> improving DirectFB - Evas/Ecore/Edje compatability/bindings.

I'm all for that. so far we have X & FB support working ok. The FB support is
not the best since its mouse and keyboard driving is very simplistic - but it
does work. DFB is a good target. NB: the DFB rendering routines in Evas could
definitely be optimised - especially the Text routines. :)

BTW - your app will probably run significantly faster with evas's FB driver and
ecore's FB support. :) also rendering quality will be much higher than DFB. also
the advantage will be that you wont need DFb either so the initrd will be
smaller :)

but yes - the important thing is that the same app with (almost) no changes will
run on dfb, x (x software and gl - maybe xrender one day when xrender stops
being about 30 times slower than software rendering), fb and in future other
target displays.

> The screenshot is posted on the (under development, yet soon there) new
> DirectFB website:
> http://tolva.shacknet.nu/screenshots.php?id=20
>
> Description of the screenshot:
> A test app with smooth animations and effects running 2 seconds after
> linux boots. It is started from an initrd with DirectFB, Evas, Ecore,
> and Edje. The initrd image is roughly 3800kb. Graphics card is radeon
> 9600XT with 256MB ram however it is slow since the directfb radeon
> driver cant yet accelerate the argb surfaces that evas uses. Whenever
> the radeon driver in DirectFB can render argb surfaces hardware
> accelerated it will be LIGHTNING fast :) Oh did I mention the app itself
> is 75 lines of code..! ;) altough the .eet file describing the graphics
> and animation is 798 lines (created by The Rasterman -
> www.rasterman.com)
>
> Be nice if the site goes offline.. I have an unstable wireless link..
>
> Hallvar Helleseth

熊耳 - 車君 (数田)                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tokyo, Japan (東京 日本)