On Wed, 2004-03-03 at 02:21, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 13:44:54 -0600 Ibukun Olumuyiwa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> babbled:
>
> > On Sun 29 Feb 2004, Hallvar Helleseth wrote:
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > In my attempts to make edje work on DirectFB I did what Ive been
> > > waiting a long time for: use Edje to get some sweeet looking bootup
> > > graphics 2 seconds after linux boots up (yes, that's actually 2 seconds!).
> > >
> > > I'm hoping this will spark some interest in getting involved with
> > > improving DirectFB - Evas/Ecore/Edje compatability/bindings.
> > >
> > > The screenshot is posted on the (under development, yet soon there) new
> > > DirectFB website:
> > > http://tolva.shacknet.nu/screenshots.php?id=20
> > >
> > > Description of the screenshot:
> > > A test app with smooth animations and effects running 2 seconds after
> > > linux boots. It is started from an initrd with DirectFB, Evas, Ecore,
> > > and Edje. The initrd image is roughly 3800kb. Graphics card is radeon
> > > 9600XT with 256MB ram however it is slow since the directfb radeon
> > > driver cant yet accelerate the argb surfaces that evas uses. Whenever
> > > the radeon driver in DirectFB can render argb surfaces hardware
> > > accelerated it will be LIGHTNING fast :) Oh did I mention the app itself
> > > is 75 lines of code..! ;) altough the .eet file describing the graphics
> > > and animation is 798 lines (created by The Rasterman -
> > > www.rasterman.com)
> >
> > Awesome ... one piece in my evil plan for the Eunuchs LiveCD distribution
> > manifests into reality...
>
> maybe this could be something to be merged with entrance. entranced is actually
> started as the first thing in init -instead of just another init script item,
> then entranced spawns the fb or dfb display client and talks to it messaging it
> via IPC to indicate boot status. when boot is ready and x can be run it asks
> fb/dfb child client to exit, starts x and then starts x client.... entrance
> would come with a cmd-line status util so you'd fill your init scripts with
> these for example:
>
> entrance_status -txt "Checking File System" -ico "/boot/icons/filesys.eet"
> entrance_status -log "Error checking File System"
> entrance_status -cmd "start-x"

This is actually one of the reasons I like DFB instead of just plain FB
(apart from hardware accell) - DFB has has multi-app core. While you
cannot run two evas apps on FB at the same time, this is very possible
with DFB, and IMHO quite important. The evas app started from initrd
never ever exists - which is quite nice actually!! just one single mode
switch. However you need to run XDirectFB if you want to use your X
apps. but that wont be a problem if your graphics card is supported
(XDirectFB does hardware GLX aswell! seems to be a bit faster than X at
it too! atleast with glxgears on a matrox g550. Although it needs some
work, but its being done!)

Entrance would be a very nice app to be the controlling master DFB app.
I've been experimenting a bit with that, but as I mentioned in a past
email: entrance wont let me log in.. but hey, thats not important is
it?  just as long as it looks nice! ;)

Hallvar