Rich wrote:
On Sunday 04 September 2005 02:28 am, dienekes wrote:
Christian Pedaschus wrote:
i'm using gentoo and i have absolutely no probs (sometimes i'm really
surprised what problems some users have...)
but i also read the docs and listen to the devs and so don't run
extra_modules and such things, perhaps this is a reason, too ;)
sure. are you running engage ?

but my advice would be to check other distros, there are a lot of nice
ones out there in comparision to suse (if it's the only one you used
'till now)
and if you're not the uber-linux-pro i would recommend gentoo, because
it helped me to understand the linux-internals and bash the easy way
very quickly...
not ment offensive to all the debian/redhat/putyourdistrohere users,
everybody should use what he likes, but for this, you have to try and see
;)
supposing a less deep understanding of users using other distros isn't
fair, and therefore its better to avoid that.
for simple users like me this is the most important question,
but the less we have to know the better for us.

The point with *any* distros is its future. Has it one or not?
In case of basically commercial distros like suse I am not sure whether
the upcoming open edition has a future or not.
for home users this should not matter too much,
as their data is mostly distribution-independent, right ?

What do you think of ubuntu ?
It's one of the best distros I've used to date and that says a lot. I started out with RH 5. I've seen them all grow up over the years and came to the point where I completely avoid RPM based distros because I like to experiment a lot. Not a good thing to do with either RH or MDK. Gets you into trouble in short order. My favorites seem to be Debian based but I'd have to rate Slack and Gentoo soon after. When it comes to package handling, Ubuntu has only given trouble once and that turned out to be my fault. I've run E17 on Debian, Mepis, Ubuntu, and VectorLinux. It has worked equally well on each.

One of the best things about Ubuntu is it's laptop support. More often than not "it just works". The ACPI support is getting better every release. Suspend/resume does not work "perfectly" for me as I have to Alt-F7 most of the time and psmouse seems to have trouble recovering but other than that it works like a charm. Add E17 to it and what a beautiful experience. I, for one, do not agree the E is "harder to use". It's just different and it's "some assembly required". E was my first introduction to the GNU/Linux GUIs and it still reigns as the best one available.
most interesting post, thank you Rich.
would someone be so kind and offer his archive of the
enlightenment-users mailinglist for download, as an .mbox file ?
the searchable archive does not seem to offer this:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum=enlightenment-users

i also think Ubuntu has a future, but for other reasons, as for
simple users it is currently not as complete as other distributions:
http://justwars.com/linux/ubuntu/

kind regards     philippe