Thanks to all who answered this! The problem comes from launching
gnome-settings-daemon, which I did to have gtk use the fonts I wanted.
Apparently, a good ~/.gtkrc-2.0 does the same thing and does not
interfere with E, solving the issue.

Anyway, this collision between E and Gnome could be worth of an
investigation, as I guess many E users would want to use gnome programs
as well. Devs, please tell me if I can be of any help here.

Thanks again,
Matías