Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Friday 17 October 2008 23:27:27 Steve Jones wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Since I last updated e17 in September, a couple of weird things have
>> happened that I don't understand. I never really figured out what caused
>> it, but I've finally narrowed it down to something in the e17 setup.
>>
>> First, and least importantly, the PATH variable has changed from what it
>> used to be, and is different when I log in to the machine from using a
>> non-X method (text console or ssh). In this case, /usr/local/bin is
>> dropped from the path, which stopped half my .desktop files from
>> working. I thought this wasn't a big problem, so I didn't bother too much.
>>
>> However, something much more serious has occurred: my build system is
>> broken if I try to compile anything from a terminal in e17. Whatever I
>> try to do, I get the message:
>>
>> collect2: cannot find 'ld'
>>
>> The weird thing is, ld is where it always was, and is also on e17's
>> path, yet it's still upset about something. Again, logging in to a text
>> console or ssh is fine.
>>
>> Has anyone got any clues as to what may have happened here?
>
> This is a shell problem and unlikely to be related to e17 in any way.
>
> Check your various shell start-up files for where PATH is set and amend
> accordingly. See your distro's documentation for details (they can and do
> vary wildly)

That's what I thought too, but I haven't found anything yet. Also, the
build system problem makes no sense - everything required is on the
path, and yet it still doesn't work.

If it's a shell issue, why did it change when e17 was updated? Nothing
else has changed on my system, and it's not an X startup issue per se -
everything is fine if I start X with a different window manager. This is
why I'm confused about it.

Steve.