On Saturday 18 October 2008 10:41:23 Steve Jones wrote:
> >> The weird thing is, ld is where it always was, and is also on e17's
> >> path, yet it's still upset about something. Again, logging in to a text
> >> console or ssh is fine.
> >>
> >> Has anyone got any clues as to what may have happened here?
> >
> > This is a shell problem and unlikely to be related to e17 in any way.
> >
> > Check your various shell start-up files for where PATH is set and amend
> > accordingly. See your distro's documentation for details (they can and do
> > vary wildly)
>
> That's what I thought too, but I haven't found anything yet. Also, the
> build system problem makes no sense - everything required is on the
> path, and yet it still doesn't work.
>
> If it's a shell issue, why did it change when e17 was updated? Nothing
> else has changed on my system, and it's not an X startup issue per se -
> everything is fine if I start X with a different window manager. This is
> why I'm confused about it.

Thus far you have not supplied much in the way of facts, so a proper answer is
not possible.

What is your PATH when e17 is running?
How do you start e17 (*dm, entrance, startx)?
If you use a dm, do you select an entry for enlightenment, or default or
failsafe?
There will be a script that starts e17 - maybe a .desktop or an Xsession
file - what's in it? If you use startx, what's in your .xinitrc?

I'm thinking the most logical cause is something along the lines of you have a
sane shell startup environment (because ssh works fine), and your .desktop
got replaced with a b0rked one with statements like these in it:

unset PATH
PATH=$PATH

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com