On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 11:13 PM, Carsten Haitzler <ras...@rasterman.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 11:46:08 -0300 Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
> <barbi...@profusion.mobi> said:
>
>> On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 11:14 AM, Carsten Haitzler <ras...@rasterman.com>
>> wrote:
>> > On Wed, 8 Apr 2009 12:29:50 -0300 Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
>> > <barbi...@profusion.mobi> said:
>> >
>> > ok. looking here the problme is.. you have a schedule.. that has none of
>> > the
>> > following:
>> >
>> > a knowledge of how long tasks will take
>> > people available to do the tasks
>> > time guaranteed from all the people
>> >
>> > this schedule doesn't account for any of that. the result will be a date
>> > rolls around with none of the stuff done for it.
>> >
>> > i propose something MUCH simpler. if the aim is stability in stages maybe
>> > simply call freeze dates.
>> >
>> > "you have until 30th april to finish your current work, if it's underway.
>> > anything not done by then must be disabled/removed/unpatched. work can
>> > happen as long as it is compile-time enabled or runtime enabled and has no
>> > effect unless enabled".
>> >
>> > then within a few days of that date tarballs are produced with incremented
>> > release numbers.
>> >
>> > how about that? :)
>>
>> well, maybe i'm too bad at explaining stuff, but my suggestion was
>> exactly that. I don't want to block developers, that's why it is a
>
> well.. you did have a detailed release schedule on the wiki even a "e17 alpha
> -
> everything done" date :)

well, people asking for it! they even complained i make it sooooo far away ;-)

>> weekend. But it would be good to ask developers to help test and fix
>> bugs whenever possible. And I tried to put dates that would not bring
>> problems with GSoC since most developers are also mentors or students,
>> and also because it's good to know beforehand when it will happen.
>
> sure.
>
>> I already have my schedule in Google Calendar, I plan to mail the list
>> on Monday with a warning about freeze on Thursday, then one on
>> Thursday and then another on Sunday. Let's see how it goes.
>
> i would suggest much longer timeframes myself eg " april 30" then 1 weeks to
> verify everyrthing is stable and fix last minute things, april 7 - snap
> (announce a known svnrev that is with this snap - make dist the tarballs and
> upload). then next one may 30... and so on.

well, I did it small to try to not impact people (mostly you) so much,
if you think it will not, then fine just change the schedule. The bad
thing is that I need to go through my calendar and reschedule all the
events :-P

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
http://profusion.mobi embedded systems