On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 5:10 AM, sda <dmitry.serpok...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > :)
>> >
>> > ok. another shot:
>> >
>> > - can someone advise why i can't use "shaped" borders for menu, gadman
>> >   popup, exebuf, winlist and modules popups (like tclock) any more?
>> >
>> in addition - please look at the attached shot and note that drag'n'drop
>> operations also assume that you have a non transparent rect as a
>> background for dragged files. is that a recent "improvements" or we
>> could have old behaviour and flexibility we get used to?
>>
> here goes another "funny story"...
>
> if a shelf is "shaped" - you get a nasty black corners (covering all
> spece to the good rect). moreover, "shaped" shelf (like "name:
> "e/shelf/default/base";")
> placed "Above Everything" is unable to carry "systray" module properly.
> tray icons will be invisible and red/pink tray bg is all you get (this
> case recently was mentioned by someone, sorry, can't remember exactly).
> it's enough to remove 'data.item: "shaped" "1";' to recover our systray.
> hope this info is useful...

this is known, I remember me mailing this in follow up mails to
systray announcement: you cannot mix ARGB and RGB windows, specially
you cannot have RGB windows that are child of ARGB windows
automatically. Since E itself is not doing manual composite redirect
of XEMBED windows from systray icons we cannot have:
   - transparent background icons
   - transparent shelf (add systray to shelfs "below all" to work
around it for now)
   - shelfs with "automatically scroll contents" since being another
window instead of simple evas objects will not apply evas clippers
(could do nasty hacks to have the same effect, but not doing any of
them now, will fix the underlying problem someday)

as I already said I'll probably not do the xembed/composite anytime
soon. After viktor (saturn_vk/urandom) is done with his esmart_xpixmap
we can try to have it in, but until then I'm just postponing the work.
KDE, for instance, should drop current freedesktop.org systray spec in
favor of their own (which raster already looked and likes much more,
maybe will become a standard later) in their next release, so no KDE
apps generating dock requests using the old way. If it can go away,
why bother too much now if the basics/defaults works?

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
http://profusion.mobi embedded systems