Apparently, though unproven, at 21:16 on Tuesday 28 December 2010, Mister Olli
did opine thusly:

> Hi all,
>
> is it possible to compile e17 and disable its dependency on hal
> completly.
>
> I currently have the gentoo ebuild from the enlightenment-niifaq ebuild.
> when I disable the hal use flag globally, it gives me the error, that
> enlightenment needs e_dbus to be build with hal support.
>
> so the real information i need is, if it is possible to build
> enlightenment and e_dbus without hal?
>
> if so I will try to correct my ebuild ;-)

Both packages appear to support optional building against hal:

e # ./configure --help | grep hal
  --enable-device-hal     enable hal device backend [default=disabled]
e_dbus # ./configure --help | grep hal
  --disable-ehal          Disable ehal build

and at least in vapier's overlay the ebuilds have USE support for this. There
is this comment just before RDEPEND in the enlightenment-9999 ebuild

# XXX: missing USE=hal depend ?
RDEPEND="
        >=dev-libs/e_dbus-9999[hal,libnotify]

So I would suggest editing that line to remove the USE=hal requirement,
redigest and see what happens. Off the top of my head the main things that may
use hal are device icons on the desktop and the battery module.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com