If it's the pkgconfig thing (I don't think /usr/local is included by
default) try something like this:
export $PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/e17/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH

something like that, find the pkgconfig file and point to that. You can add
this line to .bashrc to make this permanent, but I guess there are geeky
reasons not to do that.

Have fun.