It would appear that on Aug 25, Carsten Haitzler did say:

=============<snipped>=============
> > If emprint really is going away, can somebody recommend another desktop
> > independent CLI tool that I could modify my scripts to use?
>
> import (imagemagick)

Thanks for the clue Rasterman, I hadn't realized that imagemagick came
with such a useful utility.

One odd thing about it's non-interactive use:

[ IE screen capture including menus ]

I had a keyboard shortcut to do this with:

emprint -delay 10

which gave me more than enough time to open any menu I wanted in the image.
Since I wasn't having much luck with import's -delay function, I wrote a simple
test script to experiment with it.

#!/bin/bash
# set delay....
sleep 10
# set filename...
OuTfIlE="$HOME/tmp/autosnap.png"
# take snapshot
import -window root ${OuTfIlE}

The odd thing is that if I called this script from an xterm instead of the
everything launcher or setting a keyboard shortcut, I only got the top
level of E17's menu, with any submenus reduced to a black shadow.

see: http://i56.tinypic.com/za3k3.png

But if I call it with the everything launcher a keyboard shortcut or even
xfrun4 the submenus do make it into the image.

But it's all good, I only called it from the xterm window to test the
script. Once I called it the another way I quickly figured out that it
wasn't going to be a problem.

But I am curious though. I mean when I first experimented with emprint the
same way, it worked perfectly from an xterm. I'm guessing the Enlightenment
developers just plain write better code.

Thanks again!