I leave my E17 CPUfreq module configured with "Set CPU power policy" on
"Automatic", "Powersaving behaviour" on "Automatic" and it does what I
think you want with no issues.

The difference between what you stated you want and what actually
happens is that the frequency drops when ever the entire system is
idle, not just when E17 is idle.  So more power is saved overall.  Most
of the time I'm using my computer I'm not actually giving E17 anything
to do, I'm focused on some applications window or another.  So slowing
down when E17 is idle means it would slow down right when I want to use
it.  I don't think that's what you want.

BTW, the ARM in my phone has 18 CPU frequencies it can run at, though I
suspect that's just the number of entries shown in the app I use and it
can do more.  I understand that the pegasusq governor (not ondemand) is
often used on Android phones for keeping the battery life long while
also being responsive and performant when needed.  It's what I use and
again, no issues.