On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 13:58:11 +0900 Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman)
<ras...@rasterman.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 05:25:29 +0200 thomasg <tho...@gstaedtner.net>
> said:
>
> i agree that a user should almost never switch frequencies by hand
> this is rather pointless. cpufreq allows it - but it's there for
> tweakers (like me) so i can even measure power usage at various
> freqs, performance etc. it's buried inside a menu so as not to be too
> convenient.
>
> imho all we need to do from userspace is switch governors or tweak
> them. that means right now powersave / automatic / ondemand /
> performance. these governors do not HAVE to keep the cpu at min or
> max freq. they happen to with powersave and performance, but
> conceptually they could switch frequencies around. if performance can
> clock down and be done totally imperceptible to benchmarking, the ui
> and responsiveness, then why not? but it doesn't.
>
> the reality that *I* see is that ondemand/automatic have visible
> impacts to the user (other than the fan spinning up/down temperature
> and power consumption changing). i literally can watch my compile
> scrolling by faster switching to performance. its a big jump. it's
> not a placebo effect. to prove the point here are numbers for "make
> clean maintainer-clean; ./autogen.sh --disable-static && make -j10 &&
> sudo make -j10 install" for e17 on my machine:
>
> (this machine core i5 1.6ghz->3.4ghz, 8gb ram, x86_64, all data on
> ssd so no hdd slowness, i ran the exact same compile before the first
> run to ensure all caches are warmed up, linux 3.2.0)
>
> (maximum speed, automatic, low power automatic, minimum speed)
> performance :  91 sec
> ondemand    : 122 sec
> conservative: 113 sec
> powersave   : 198 sec
>
> ondemand/powersave are not invisible. it's not a placebo effect. i
> have spent my life staring at graphics and animation and i can
> sometimes SEE the difference with responsiveness just in frame
> rendering when using these. i don't have a quick test to prove it but
> i'm less likely to be affected by placebo as this is what i have done
> for most of my life - stare at graphics, animation and spot single
> pixel glitches and off-by-1's and incorrect frame timings. i'm
> normally very sceptical so if i am seeing an effect, it probably is
> very much there. i just don't have a test for you. i could try make
> one... maybe measure time from ecore wakeup on event to time until
> frame render done and flushed.
>
> believe it or not humans do perceive latencies of less than 20ms. you
> just can't quite realize what you are perceiving and end up saying
> "this thing is slow" when it's fast - it never drops a frame, but..
> it's just got higher latency. 20ms is enough to be 1 frame behind
> (actually less is enough). when you get an event u want time from
> event to result on screen to be as short as possible. this is because
> events can come in at ANY time, BUT your screen is refreshing at a
> [...]

And if you are doing 3D networked virtual world development like I
do, add in another 320 ms of delay to the other side of the world to
your responsiveness.  I get 20 ms pings to my country, but it seems to
add about 150 ms for each hop across major oceans, and my routes tend
to go the long way.

I blame Telstra, this is Australia, it's always safest to just blame
Telstra.