On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 7:14 AM, Arvind R <arvin...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 2:18 AM, Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
> <barbi...@profusion.mobi> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 9:14 AM, Arvind R <arvin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> After getting xine backend working in emotion, tried generic (vlc)
> >> backend. Nope - doesn't work -:(
> >>
> >> Problem 1: Using the example source, now need to add:
> >> emotion_object_module_option_set(em, "player", "vlc");
> >>
> >> It does not fall-back to the default generic player.
> >>
> >> Problem 2:
> >> em_player_vlc cannot be found, because generic_module_init() fails to
> >> set the prefixes proper.
> >>
> >> So put printf() and recompiled. (Is there is a small howto on the eina
> >> logging system?) Output:
> >>
> >> evas engine: <auto>
> >> emotion backend: generic
> >> vis: 0
> >> geometry: 0 0 960x540
> >> generic_module_init: initing libdir to /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
> >>

> > this seems wrong already, is it PACKAGE_LIB_DIR? why does it contain
> > x86_64-linux-gnu? in Makefile.am it's just $(libdir), did you specify
> > something with --libdir?
> >
> Yes. '$prefix/lib/$DEB_ARCH. The x86_64-linux-gnu is correct.
> >

> >> generic_module_init: got libdir /usr/lib/lib
> >>

> > yet another very weird result. double "lib" in the path? Where are you
> > installing these things?
> >
> > eina_prefix_new() will use the given symbol (emotion_object_add) and
> dladdr
> > to know which file it came from. Should be the libemotion.so. Then it
> gets
> > the directory where libemotion.so is contained, should be /usr/lib if
> it's
> > /usr/lib/libemotion.so. Then it will remove the "lib" part to get the
> > prefix, later adding this again (this is what it should do, did not test
> > see if it's correct).
> >
> Ah-ah! The logic is IMHO, wrong! My installation is a multiarch debian
> install. The x86_64 libdir is '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu' and 32-bit
> version in 'usr/lib32' on a x86_64-linux-gnu system and '/usr/lib/' on
> a 'x86-linux-gnu' system. The modules get installed in sub-dirs of the
> library, e.g. libemotion.so gets installed in
> '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/' and emotion modules in
> '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/emotion/'.

ok, got it and from this commit it seems to be handled
http://trac.enlightenment.org/e/changeset/74709

(I mean the message, not the logic, will check that later).

> This makes the 'MODULE_ARCH' variable in autoconf files unnecessary;

not really as it also includes efl version. Also will allow installing to
shared /usr, like NFS used by multiple platforms (ppc, x86...)... in
theory, because in practice half of EFL doesn't conform with that (emotion,
ecore_imf, eeze/sensors, evas cserve2 binaries, efreet binaries...). I plan
to fix those soon.

> and, as I have on my system (untested -:(), a lib32 AND a x86_64
> installation possible. This will conform to most packaging systems
> AFAIK, and definitely to Debian.
> If the logic is modified to scan from right to left the absence of
> '^lib' substring to get the prefix, and later add ALL the subsequent
> parts, all will be fine. Better still, have eina_prefix_new take the
> $PREFIX value too to enable a left-to-right scan.

I'll check the logic, but it's worth for you to check if you have that
patch in your version.

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
http://profusion.mobi embedded systems