On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 4:39 PM, David Seikel <onef...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 16:24:44 -0200 Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
> <barbi...@profusion.mobi> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 4:12 PM, Ross Vandegrift <r...@kallisti.us>
>> wrote:

>> > And as usual, compositing proves its worth.  Just started up
>> > VirtualBox, whole desktop ground down to about 2fps.  Took about
>> > three minutes to flip to another virtual console to kill it.  As
>> > soon as I unloaded the module, all better.
>> >
>> > Maybe someday before compositing is mandatory for every window
>> > manager, composite will get fixed to not break lots of working
>> > installations.
>>
>> Really? I'm using E17 exclusively inside VirtualBox on a MacOSX host,
>> 1024x768 and with composite. Works pretty fast on a MacBook Pro 2.8
>> GHz Intel Core i7 with NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 512 MB.
>
> I think Ross meant VirtualBox is running inside E17, not the other way
> around.  I wonder if he's using OpenGL or software for the compositor?
> And maybe VirtualBox trying to use OpenGL caused a conflict?
>
> For what it's worth, I regularly test my embedded EFL stuff inside Qemu
> running on top of E17 with no problem.  It does not need OpenGL or
> anything fancy though.
>
> And just to offset Gustavo's bragging, my embedded EFL project runs
> pretty fast on the actual x486 CPU with some crappy built in graphics
> chip, and 256MB memory shared between them.  :-P

last but not least, now that comp is mandatory it should be
rewritten/improved to be better, make "no composite fullscreen
windows" work properly and etc.

I've read the code and it's huge and seems to be the "learn as I
write" kind of stuff. Now that people know it, the Composite extension
and pitfalls, it would be better to rewrite the whole thing and assume
the "always composite" path, linking it with e_border that used to
draw the decoration.

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
http://profusion.mobi embedded systems