On Thursday 04 Apr 2013 21:40:11 Damien Radtke wrote:
> Recently I was trying to copy a video over to another computer (running
> Windows, in case it makes any difference) by using my flash drive, but
> Enlightenment seems to not like flash drives very much. The first time I
> tried, the file appeared but had a size of 0 bytes. After a couple more
> attempts I managed to get the file onto the computer, but it crashed about
> halfway through watching it. No matter what I tried, I couldn't get the
> file to copy to the flash drive without running into some sort of
> corruption. I ultimately got around the problem by re-downloading the video
> on the computer I was trying to transfer it to.
>
> This is with 64-bit openSUSE 12.3. I recently had GNOME installed but
> switched to Enlightenment, but I don't remember running into these sorts of
> issues with GNOME.
>
> Anyone else run into anything similar, or know why this might be happening?

I would be surprised if this issue is related to the WM.  Did you check that
the complete file was transferred?  Some USB sticks have a slow controller and
it takes longer to complete the transfer.  If you run sync on a terminal
you'll know the transfer has finished when the sync command completes.

Also, you can compare the USB and hard drive copies with md5sum or sha1sum to
make sure that it was transferred without fs corruption.

--
Regards,
Mick