My hunch is that it's being caused by failing to unmount correctly. When I
right-click on the flash drive and tell it to either Eject or Unmount,
either a) nothing happens, or b) I get some weird unmount error. I don't
remember the exact error message, but I can try it again later and report
what it says.

On a related note, am I supposed to Eject or Unmount the flash drive from
my computer before pulling it out, or does it even matter?