OK Thanks Gustavo - I always feel bad asking questions that are only
tangentially related to the enlightenment world, and really appreciate the
help and advice. I'll try disabling ipv6 in the kernel and see if that
helps. I'll have to try it with another wired connection, it doesn't happen
with any wifi networks I connect to, so it may be the dhcp server here on
campus. But, it might be a connman issue because it doesn't happen when i
just use the network interfaces file with ifupdown. Anyway, its really only
an annoyance because sudo complains it 'can't resolve host' but I just put
another line in the /etc/hosts that has the _1 variant of the host name and
now sudo is happy.

On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 8:41 AM, Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri <barbi...@gmail.com