On 18/04/18 09:56, Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Apr 2018 09:11:33 +0100 Peter Flynn <pe...@silmaril.ie> said:
>> I know meson is terribly fashionable these days, but I have tried
>> to get it to work on at least five Linux distros and it's never
>> worked properly -- always been missing some unfindable component.
>
> ummm maybe its just the distros you tried that don't stay up to date
> that easily?

Is Meson that neglected in some places? I had sort of assumed it would
be under heavy support as it's become so popular.

So far I have tried Ubuntu, RedHat, CentOS, Bodhi, and raw Debian. All
failed because some specific library was not available in the version
required (different library for each distro), or because build
instructions for the project I was working on expected an environment
that didn't exist (presumably the original developer's environment).

> at last arch has been smooth sailing on this, but it's a rolling
> distro so it stays relatively up to date :)
Sounds good. I've avoided Arch because last time I tried it, it broke
Emacs, and was several versions behind on a few key (for me) packages.
But if that's changed I should look at it again.

Thanks for the tips.

///Peter