On Wed, 18 Apr 2018 20:32:49 +0100 Peter Flynn <pe...@silmaril.ie> said:

> On 18/04/18 09:56, Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
> > On Wed, 18 Apr 2018 09:11:33 +0100 Peter Flynn <pe...@silmaril.ie> said:
> >> I know meson is terribly fashionable these days, but I have tried
> >> to get it to work on at least five Linux distros and it's never
> >> worked properly -- always been missing some unfindable component.
> >
> > ummm maybe its just the distros you tried that don't stay up to date
> > that easily?
>
> Is Meson that neglected in some places? I had sort of assumed it would
> be under heavy support as it's become so popular.

no - it's that meson has been changing a lot of late i'd say as it gets more
adoption and more projects find bugs and shortcomings in it and meson adds
features to match thus needing a very up to date version. if you use debian
(stable), ubuntu, fedora etc. you will not find them UPGRADING meson or really
any package. only providing bugfix/security fix packages (a new revision of the
same version of the older pkg with the security or bug fix). they probably
focus most on security fixes and only the big bug fixes may get a fix. if the
fix is to upgrade the pkg they probably wont do it.

that's why a rolling release distro (arch, gentoo, suse tumbleweed, debian
SID/testing etc.) will stay up to date as it's always ipdating and upgrading
all packages based on when upsterams release them.

> So far I have tried Ubuntu, RedHat, CentOS, Bodhi, and raw Debian. All

all non-rolling and if they are older versions... not great. :(

> failed because some specific library was not available in the version
> required (different library for each distro), or because build
> instructions for the project I was working on expected an environment
> that didn't exist (presumably the original developer's environment).

i've build efl and e on a range of distros and also on fbsd too and
cross-compiled for windows as well over the years and i invariably can get it
to build by hunting down the dependency. i rarely have much trouble other than
just figuring out what the local distros package name is for that thing. i will
also try and use their absolute latest release each time.

Carsten Haitzler - ras...@rasterman.com