On 09/06/2020, Carsten Haitzler <ras...@rasterman.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Jun 2020 18:11:11 +0000 Matt Bagnara <bagnaram...@gmail.com>
> said:
>
>> They are being set by the  environment script
>> /nix/store*-set-environment. The strange thing is that the icons will
>
> but does this set the environment before e runs?
Yes, I did some digging, and it gets set single-time in /etc/profile
when lightDM starts the shell initially for the enlightenment launch
process.

>> display in the title-bar when launched. However, not in the menu. The
>> icon theme is set to  the default "Enlightenment-x" for applications.
>>
>> strings /proc/`pidof enlightenment`/environ | grep XDG_DATA
>> XDG_DATA_DIRS=/home/mbagnara/.nix-profile/share:/etc/profiles/per-user/mbagnara/share:/nix/var/nix/profiles/default/share:/run/current-system/sw/share
>
> it's not set to
> /nix/store/mip8jx89p9h8dixngwhhcwnhxvs5a0rv-enlightenment-0.24.1/share/enlightenment:/nix/store/mip8jx89p9h8dixngwhhcwnhxvs5a0rv-enlightenment-0.24.1/share:/home/mbagnara/.nix-profile/share:/etc/profiles/per-user/mbagnara/share:/nix/var/nix/profiles/default/share:/run/current-system/sw/share
>
> so not set to what you think it should be set to... nix with its non-fhs
> layout
> will make this hard and you have to pay attention to these details :)

Indeed these environments are different, but that  is because any
shell that is started through E gets appended its path to
XDG_DATA_DIRS. Looking at a generic shell, it is set to  the previous
value.
XDG_DATA_DIRS=/home/mbagnara/.nix-profile/share:/etc/profiles/per-user/mbagnara/share:/nix/var/nix/profiles/default/share:/run/current-system/sw/share.
There is something about this  path scheme that E doesn't like. I
wonder if it has anything to  do with following symlinks.