I agree totally!

I'm a retired computer scientist / software engineer who "administers" a
very small number of computers on our home LAN.

I was dismayed by the UI changes a couple of years ago, and am even
more disturbed by the upcoming removal of XUL, which will make things
like Classic Theme Restorer impossible.

I don't like software to change its behavior every time some developer
gets a cool idea: I use my browser to access the Web, not as a fashion
statement. I *do* want regular security updates (but not forced updates,
like Chrome or Windows 10). Occasionally there are some functional
updates that *are* worthwhile, like HTML5 video (instead of ever-buggy
Flash), but most are minor changes which make for inconsistent behavior.

P.S. I like the comment about a whether a computer browser should work
like a smart-phone browser. It's as if Honda decide to replace their
steering wheel with handlebars so as to present an interface compatible
with their motorcycles.