Mike,
  Thanks for the quick reply.

  We don't want to use Group Policy because, as far as I am aware, users
won't be able to make a change to their homepage if we set a policy using
Group Policy.  We want to set a default homepage to our website but want to
allow them to change it to a site of their choosing.

  I will try your suggestions and see if I am successful with those.

  One other question, in regards to upgrading Firefox.  We have Firefox 52
RR deployed to a number of workstations (500+) and would like to upgrade to
60.0.2 ESR.  We are using Microsoft's System Center Configuration Manager
to push software updates.  Is it similar to a "fresh" install to upgrade to
60.0.2 ESR or do we have to remove the existing version first?

  I read somewhere that you need to delete the current Firefox folder from
C:\Program Files prior to completing the install of 60.0.2 ESR.

  Please let me know what the preferred (and supported) way of remotely
upgrading Firefox is.

  Thanks.

On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 9:06 AM, Mike Kaply <mka...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> Also, can I ask why you aren't using policy?
>
> Mike
>
> On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 8:05 AM, Mike Kaply <mka...@mozilla.com> wrote:
>
>> See:
>>
>> https://mike.kaply.com/2012/08/29/setting-the-default-firefo
>> x-homepage-with-autoconfig/
>>
>> Try:
>>
>> defaultPref("browser.startup.homepage", "data:text/plain,browser.start
>> up.homepage=http://www.pcom.edu";);
>>
>> As far as the privacy notice goes, you can disable that by setting this
>> pref:
>>
>> toolkit.telemetry.reportingpolicy.firstRun
>>
>> to false
>>
>> Mike
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 7:46 AM, Jonathan Pentecost <jonathan...@pcom.edu
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Good morning,
>>>   We are currently getting ready for a deployment of ESR 60.0.2 but are
>>> having difficulty with setting the default homepage for new users and
>>> disabling the Privacy Notice.  We don't want to use Group Policy for these
>>> settings, as we want to use the autoconfig file for this.
>>>
>>>   We are using an autoconfig policy on our Windows 7 and Windows 10
>>> systems that we know is working, as most of the preferences we are setting
>>> through the autoconfig are applying correctly.
>>>
>>>   The only issue we are having trouble with is that the default homepage
>>> is not being set correctly with the autoconfig for any new users on a
>>> workstation (we want existing users to keep the settings they have in place
>>> when the upgrade is completed).  Please find below our current autoconfig
>>> file and let me know what needs to be modified in order to set a default
>>> homepage, still allowing users to modify the homepage to that of their
>>> choosing.  Right now, we get a blank homepage when a new user logs in, as
>>> well as another tab with the Privacy Notice.
>>>
>>>   We also would like to not have the Privacy Notice appear for new
>>> users, as some people will be confused with what this is and call our
>>> helpdesk about it.
>>>
>>>   Thanks in advance for the assistance.
>>>

>>> *Business_Configuration.cfg*
>>> //  First line commented out
>>>
>>> pref("browser.download.useDownloadDir", false);
>>> pref("browser.shell.checkDefaultBrowser", false);
>>> defaultPref("browser.startup.homepage", "http://www.pcom.edu";);
>>> defautlPref("browser.startup.home", "http://www.pcom.edu";);
>>> pref("browser.startup.homepage_override.mstone", "ignore");
>>> pref("browser.rights.3.shown", true);
>>> pref("toolkit.telemetry.prompted", 2);
>>> pref("toolkit.telemetry.rejected", true);
>>> pref("signon.rememberSignons", false);
>>> lockPref("app.update.enabled", false);