I have set up Firefox for a specific userid (Linux) with a proxy server
that blocks everything, and then set some domains to bypass that
"proxy server". But I don't know how easily this can be locked down
within Firefox.

Of course, you could set up an actual proxy server on the LAN that was
more sophisticated, and then firewall than LAN to prevent its bypass.