That's correct, this is an old issue, and the profile per channel situation
made it more interesting.

So just summarize how things are going to be:

If you have Firefox installed (32 or 64), and you upgrade to a different
version using our install, it will overwrite the existing install. This
will prevent you from getting separate profiles fro 32 and 64 bit (it was
the only way to solve this problem for most users.)

Note that we had always upgraded 32 to 64 in the same directory in place.
This new change is if you explicitly use an installer and already have
Firefox installed, it will overwrite it in place (which is the logical
thing to do).

separately, I have added a Windows GPO only policy to turn off the profile
per installation. It will be in the Firefox and ESR that release on October
22.

Any other platforms should use the environment variable
(MOZ_LEGACY_PROFILES)

https://github.com/mozilla/policy-templates/blob/master/README.md#legacyprofiles

Mike