On 2020-11-11 at 10:45, Mike Kaply wrote:

> When we upgrade or install 64 bit Firefox, if a 32 bit Firefox is
> there, we use the same directory.
>
> So my recommendation would be that you not uninstall and then
> reinstall, but simply install or let the upgrades happen.

Unfortunately, that would A: leave 64-bit Firefox installed in the
32-bit program hierarchy, which is undesirable just on general
principles, and B: mean that machines which got a clean install would
have Firefox installed under a different path from machines which got
upgraded, which is undesirable not only from general principles but also
because it would make managing configuration and uninstalls and the like
harder (which path do we need to install distribution\policies.json
under? which path do we need to look under to trigger the uninstall
helper? etc.).

I can see why people might choose to go this route, but it really does
not sit well with me.

> Unfortunately Windows didn't make this situation easy.

- From my perspective, at least at a glance, Windows' contribution to the
situation seems relatively minor.

It also seems to me as if it shouldn't be too difficult to implement the
behavior I'd prefer within Firefox, relative to the behaviors that
already exist; it just apparently hasn't been done. That's a moot point
for the case at hand, because my organization isn't going to wait for a
new Firefox release before upgrading even if that new release would
include this behavior, but it could still be helpful for others.

What we'll probably wind up doing is setting the "use legacy profiles"
flag, running with that for a year or three, and then eventually turning
it off and fixing up any broken profiles that get discovered after that
point manually. That's far from ideal, both because of the risk of
having those broken profiles and because we'll be locked out of
profile-per-install for that long, but it's probably the best we're
going to be able to manage.

I do also still think that a way to explicitly tell Firefox to import a
specific existing profile's contents into the current (new) profile
would be useful, including in other contexts.

- --
  Andrew J. Buehler