Is it really safe to leave legacy/32bit profiles and upgrade firefox to 64bit in a classroom or hotdesk environments ?

I'm worried about what happens to an upgraded environment when some
but not all machines are reinstalled, so all machines have the same
64bit version of the firefox binaries installed, but profile and
install dirs are a mixture of legacy/32bit and 64bit ?