From: "Ravindra" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: California blackouts and conservation
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 05:32:13 +0530

Dear Patrick

The Dhabol Power Project of ENRON in India (in Maharashtra state) is another
classic case of 'predatory supplier behaviour' of the big power companies.
This company has managed a power purchase agreement with the state
government at rates linked to the international prices of raw material and
currancy (dollar) value.

Within few years the State Electricity Board  is running into huge debts -
nearly 4000 ($ 85 million)  million Rupees. While in my state (Andhra
Pradesh), the Public sector electricity board purchases power at Rupees-1.25
($0.03), the Dhabol Corporation's price is around Rupees 7.25 ($0.15) -
nearly six times! There

Many well-meaning people opposed this project at the very beginning, but the
government went ahead. The My Indian colleagues working in Energy sector may
throw more light on this issue.

Regards,
Ravindra,
Lead India,Cohort-4