I've just replaced my 540EZ speedlite with a 550EX.
Basically it's operation is very similar to my old
unit, so it's pretty easy to get comfortable with.
However there is one difference I've found between the
two that I can't figure out.  Flash exposure
compensation on the 540EZ was in 1/3 stop increments.
On the (my) 550EX it's in 1/2 stop increments.

The 550EX manual states that FEC is either in 1/3 or
1/2 stop increments - depending on the camera body!
I'm using it on an EOS 5 (A2e) and an EOS 55 (Elan
IIe) - the same bodies I used the 540EZ with.

If either speedlite is not attached to a camera, FEC
increments remain at 1/3 stop for the 540EZ and 1/2
stop for the 550EX.  I no longer have the 540EZ, but I
know this was the case as I often set the flash
exposure compensation value on the speedlite BEFORE I
attach it to the camera.  So these increments seem to
be the default values, as there's no camera to tell it
otherwise.

I'd prefer to use 1/3 stop values, but I can't figure
out why there is this difference between the two
models.  The manual doesn't state which bodies use
which increments, just that there's a difference
dependent on the body.  Both the 5 and 55 have built
in FEC in 1/2 stop increments, but the 540 still
worked at 1/3 stop values.

Is there anyone who can help with more information???

Thanks
Gary Fisher