On 23 Jan 01 at 13:52, Kotsinadelis, Peter (Peter) wrote:

> .....His main conclusion is that *if* IS could work in cooperation with MLU
> (it can't(!)), it would be *the* sharpest configuration possible on a
> tripod.
>
> Willem-Jan Markerink

> ___
>
> Why can't this be done?  I have not tried it but it would seem that the 2
> second delay with the Canon MLU should allow the lens to stabilize.  WHat am
> I not understanding?

For some odd reason, IS is deactivated with MLU....I now even start
to wonder what IS does during multi-second or even bulb exposures....or
DOF-preview....
Perhaps it's this bulb-context that made Canon decide not to combine
IS & MLU, since it doesn't make much sense to combine IS & long
exposures (unless proven otherwise, under very wobbly conditions only I
guess)....and MLU makes most sense during longer exposures (okay,
its effect is (relatively) less on *very* long exposures, but still).
Btw IS & long exposures: could get tricky, with the larger battery
drain of IS....

But perhaps it's just a ROM-chip that couldn't accept yet one more
line of programming....;))
Or a marketing department that wanted to keep some brilliant CF's or
PF's up its sleeve....;))

--
Bye,

Willem-Jan Markerink