> "Gary Fisher" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: ...
> Yesterday I put a split image focusing screen into my
> RT.  Two statements: 1. Great. 2. Don't know why they
> didn't come that way standard!. ...
> This morning I tried Julians suggestion of stopping
> down the lens to f11, and sure enough, by judicious
> eye placement both halves were clear.  Now this is
> something that I'm definitely not used to.  Well
> *wasn't* is probably the correct term.
> Interestingly though I found that the RT doesn't AF
> while DOF preview is being used even at apertures
> wider than f5.6.
> BTW Julian, what camera model did the focusing screen
> come from that you put in your 1000FN. ...

G'day Gary,

Great! I'm glad I'm not just imagining things in the
viewfinder or on film.

1) The Split-Image screen that I bought from Canon
Australia was a spare part for the Canon EF-M camera.

2) On the Elan 7E, DOF preview results in AF lock AND
AE lock. Therefore no AF, but the AE lock is a good
backup when CF4=2

3) A good reason not to put a split image screen on
an AF camera is that it will show the deficiencies
of the autofocus (even on a Nikon F5 :-)
http://home.neb.rr.com/grumpysworld/guide/review.htm
http://www.smu.edu/~rmonagha/third/af.html

Cheers
Julian Loke