Pierre Bellavance wrote:

> I'm thinking of getting Canon's 2X TC to use with my 100-400/4.5-5.6L IS Lens.
>
> I would use the 800mm length with a monopod, mainly for bird pictures.

Hi Pierre,

Consider first that you will have in effect a 200-800/6.7-11 lens. Depending on
what body you're using, you're going to lose AF capability somewhere around
300-400mm (I'm sure kind soul here can help with the exact figures). The
viewfinder is going to quite dim at f/11, so manual focusing could be difficult
(even composition could be a chore). With the kinds of shutter speeds you'll have
available at f/11, combined with the degree of magnification you'll be working
with, you'll probably need a very sturdy and stable tripod to keep everything
sufficiently still to get usable images; and you'll definitely want to use a
remote release and MLU--IS may mitigate some of this, but there are limits to what
it can do (does it continue to function when AF shuts off?). The loss of sharpness
when using the 2x extender with the 300/2.8L is noticeable but not objectionable
if good technique is used; I suspect it will be at least as noticeable with the
zoom, if not more so.

In short, I'm afraid you'll find this combination disappointing.  :-(

fcc