-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Pierre
Bellavance
Sent: 04 May 2001 23:19
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: EOS Canon 2X TC with 100-400/4.5-5.6L IS Lens.

>I'm thinking of getting Canon's 2X TC to use with my 100-400/4.5-5.6L IS
Lens.
>Has anyone tried this combination?
>Is the loss of sharpness at 800mm very noticeable?
>I would use the 800mm length with a monopod, mainly for bird pictures.

Hi Pierre.

Well, I have tried the above, but using a Sigma 2x EX TC.

Bear in mind that you will lose autofocus at both ends of the zoom, with the
short end
being f4.5 to begin with that's gonna push you over the critical f8 to start
with - assuming
that you have either an Eos 3 or 1v.
The long end, 800 will be an even slower f11 & as such will give you a
noticeably darker
focusing screen as well as long exposure times on all but the brightest of
days.

As for the actual quality of sharpness, I can only comment on the Sigma TC's
not the Canon
one's. Overall it wasn't too bad considering, but I only used it at about
600mm.

Paul.

N51°18'57"
W00°46'14"