>> From: "James McCauley"
>> ...but I'd still gladly swap it (E-TTL) for a flash system that I
>> could count on to give me reliable results on my D30.

> From: "Jim Davis"
> Are you saying that E-TTL doesn't give you good results? That is doesn't
> give consistant results? Have you tried manual mode for consistant results?

Hi Jim,
    Yup, tried manual on the flash, and usually use only manual on the D30.
    Unfortunately, I don't always have the luxury of time to measure the
camera-subject distance and dial it into the flash manually. The point of
the original post was that although E-TTL works great on my EOS 3 (where I
can link spot metering to the selected focus point, and have that focus
point aimed at the face of a subject to achieve correctly lit skin-tones),
the D30 has only three focus points and no spot metering, giving unreliable
results for a variety of factors.
    I like E-TTL when using film and find it gives me fairly consistant
pics, but just find it unreliable with digital. My gripe is actually aimed
more at the D30s' flash metering than E-TTL itself, but as the two go hand
in hand...
    James
James McCauley
[EMAIL PROTECTED]