Hi Gary,

Just so you know you're not alone, my 28-70/2.8L lens has one big wirey
piece of dust right on the back of the front element.  When it first
showed up, I was able to move it out of the light path by smaking the
lens gently on my hand, but now it seems to be stuck just off center.
This piece of dust is probably longer than 1/8 inch!  Still, the shots
are sharp so I am not sending it for cleaning, but I would be interested
in hearing how much it costs.

Mike