On 8/16/01 5:43 PM, "Gary Russell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> A while back I'd mentioned on the List that I was having some dust particle
> problems under the front lens element of my 28-135 IS.  I said I was going
> to inquire with Canon about cleaning costs and a couple of folks asked that
> I pass that information along when I did.  After noticing yet *another*
> larger particle had lodged in the lens recently, I finally got around to
> calling Canon today.
>
> The Canon service rep (at the Canon Factory Service Center in Irvine,
> California) said cleaning the lens would cost $110 if there were no other
> problems.  Or, as I figure, about a quarter of the cost of a new 28-135 IS.
>
> I guess too, my question at this point is about how long would it take a
> trained technician to perform this service?  It just seems like a lot of
> money to blow some dust particles out of a lens.
>
> Gary Russell

Gary,

The quote of $110 is a fairly reasonable price.  I don't work at a photo
shop but a shop that sells video equipment and our bench fee for an hour of
work is $90.  It may seem like a lot to the consumer but you have to figure
that that money is paying for in whole or in part the cost of the
technician, the person who pushes the paper work and cost of any cleaning
supplies used.  So a $110  isn't out of sight as a price to clean it.

Take my opinion for what ever it may be worth
Brian Beckwith