> > The 2.5/50 mm compact macro for its unparred sharpness
> > and versatility at acceptable speed.
>
> I bet that the Sigma 50 2,8 EX Macro is
> better optically.

Wouldn't bet a cent on that.
And with the various compatibility problems in
firmware I'd be rather reluctant to buy Sigma.
Do you know that in some Sigma lenses a complete
lens group is fixed with only adhesive tape?

> With the 1:1 possible in Macro shots.
The Canon needs the lifesize extender for that, right.
On the other hand the extender is indeed a 1.4 extender,
which results in far better working distance than with
regular 50 mm macro lenses.

> The 50 Canon is too old..

Mine is twelve years now, and feels like new.
Metal mount, distance scale, I'm happy.

> And lose luminosity when you add to it, the
> accessory to convert the 1:2 to 1:1.

Hehe, very common misunderstanding. The canon *displays*
the difference. Take a white wall, point your camera
with the Sigma wide open towards the wall. Read the meter
for the shutter speed the camera asks for.
Then turn it all the way down to 1:1 macro, point
it towards the wall again and check the shutter speed.
Voila!

> From: "F. Craig Callahan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> I would just add that the second-hand one I tried in a
> store and decided not to buy was noisy,

Right. It has an arc form drive (AFD). If you need to
cross the whole range of focus, it is noticably noisy.
On the other hand I rarely use AF on most of my lenses,
so I don't mind about that.

> slow,

The mechanics are very precise with steepness varying
over the whole range. Staying in the range from 2 meters
to infinity it is not slower than most other lenses.
At least not on my EOS-1s or the D30.

I don't think the Sigma is any faster.

> and rather cheaply made.

You must have had something different from mine.

--
Michael Quack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Again, this is very advanced technology. You will not see
these pictures on any other channel. (CNN live coverage)