In a message dated 9/19/01 7:00:45 AM Pacific Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

<<  I bet that the Sigma 50 2,8 EX Macro is
 > better optically.

 Wouldn't bet a cent on that.
 And with the various compatibility problems in
 firmware I'd be rather reluctant to buy Sigma.
 Do you know that in some Sigma lenses a complete
 lens group is fixed with only adhesive tape? >>

HI,
I don't know about tape on Sigmas, nor do I know if Sigma 50 Macro EX is
better than Canon 50 Macro. But What I do know is that Sigma 50 Macro EX is a
VERY good lens optically. AF is a bit noisy and a little slow compared to
USM. But It has great glass. I used to have this Sigma and only reason I sold
it - was to get a longer Macro lens, as 50mm was not long enough for macro
work I was doing. But now, I often wish I kept it, - often enough I run into
situations, where it could be more useful than a longer  macro. But I guess
one can't have ALL the lenses in the world. :o)
George