>Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 21:27:08 +1100
>From: "Tim Munro" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: EOS canoscan4000u

>Has anyone had any experience with this new 4000dpi scanner fron Canon?
I was on my way to purchase the Nikon LS-40  (IV-ED in the U.S I >think)
and got roped in by another dealer to look at the new Canon unit and the
Polaroid 4000, which is on sale at half price here. Now >I'm somewhat
unsure of the best option for my general purpose use. Mainly scanning
negs and trannies for printing and webwork with the >occassional high
res. trannie scans for clients who prefer a digital submission. As a
Canon photographer I have a natural leaning that >way. Has anyone done
any comparisons on these units.

>Regards, Tim

You can check some reviews at
http://www.imaging-resource.com/SCANINDEX.HTM.
More detailed reviews, but only for older scanners, you can find at
http://www.cix.co.uk/~tsphoto/tech/filmscan/menu.htm
I think you should make a list with the features you absolutely require
like APS film compatibility, interface, image correction. Then check the
speed and scan results (I suggest to look first at Kodak's "Q60" color
target, you'll find on both sites).
As for me, after this steps I end up buying the Acer ScanWit 2720S and
I'm very happy with it.
Another thing! Be sure you go to http://www.hamrick.com/ and check his
amazing VueScan software.
Scans made with the scanner software are horrible compared with VueScan
results. Just check for yourself.

Regards,
Dan