Howard, you'll get the best results if you buy a flash meter. That way you
won't worry how to set ratios and stuff. You can use as many flashes as you
want, put them in optical slave mode and set them to manual. With flash
meter, you can also use studio flashes or whatever and get precisely what
you want.

As for 550EX, it can do everything, including only controlling other flashes
via wireless ETTL.

The flash meter is also the cheapest solution. IMHO, E-TTL and other high
tech stuff implemented in flashes are convenient if you do not have time and
want to get the best possible results in a changing environment (evaluating
light and flash exposure when you press the shutter release). Where the
environment is steady, the flash meter is the way to go, and is more hassle
free. :)

Just my $.02.

Best regards,
        Miha.